19 November 2007

A Big Victory


Stay loose is Cathy's mantra for me. About a year ago I lugged my oils up to this vista overlooking the Channel Islands. Crazy Brad was out there dancing at his easel banging out another 24x36 masterpiece en plein air. I'm watching him flabbergasted as he isolates the essence of the scene and paints with real motion and E-motion.

I put the damn oils back in the car. Out came the sticks . . . but a very limited palette. Shit, Dave, just paint what you feel. Just paint for yourself. No one's gonna see it anyway except you . . . and Brad. If it's truly crap he'll let me know straight away.

"Damn," he said, "that's your best plein air painting EVER!" I had only been painting for about an hour. "Stop now."

I did as I was told. Was I ever proud . . . . 8x12 was big enough for the day.

One thing I always loved about Brad's work is the fact that it isn't over-worked. He usually leaves a lot of paper visible. So I figured I'd give it a whirl. Just laid down a layer or two . . . and actually left the brown-toned paper to breath through. And so, holy cow . . . he inspired me into doing something which isn't over-worked. This was a victory . . . a big one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad- What a blog! Nice work. I really love the new cityscapes. I think they are a refreshing new style to your prolific collection. I am very proud of you! Now we just need to do a paint day, and I even have my own easel. Yipeee.
XOXO
MM

David Michaels said...

C'mon Megan . . . let's paint. You were the first oil painter I ever met!

Anonymous said...

Puuurrrrrfffect. Let's do it!!!! XOXOXO. So cool this whole blog thing dad, wow. Love the photo at the top might I add....

Fighting the Ugly Stage

It's the damndest thing . . . the ugly stage of a painting. After a careful drawing of the essential shapes followed by the setting up...