01 December 2007

Jet Lag Painting

































As if I didn't have enough artistic pursuits to contend with . . . . . it's now on to watercolor. Figuring that I would arrive in China and be awake for quite a spell, I bought a student-grade travel set. The first one was done right in my sketchbook with charcoal underneath. The Blue Doors came after a morning walk at the incredible 798 Art District in Beijing.

Working with a tiny round, I was a lot looser with the first one. The Blue Doors must have 7 layers of glazing and is a little too exact. When I came home Cathy said it didn't "look" like a watercolor. I don't think she was being too critical, I just think she believes a water color should be more free-form with colors and shapes merging.

It's really hard to work "backwards." I'm so used to working dark to light that watercolor is a whole new challenge. I'm trying too hard not to make "mistakes." I feel like an illustrator without the necessary skill set. But what the hell . . . another medium to get lost in. But this one is really a challenge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want these!!!! nice work dad.
xoxox
MM

David Michaels said...

You're too nice Meena . . . but of course you can have any painting you want!
xoxooxo
Dad

Fighting the Ugly Stage

It's the damndest thing . . . the ugly stage of a painting. After a careful drawing of the essential shapes followed by the setting up...