17 November 2007

Mad Science 3


But Cityscape was, ostensibly, not where I wanted to go. I was trying to be abstract . . . but literalism was rearing it's ugly head.

It was all heading somewhere, but I wasn't totally free. The first one was the purest. It was time to take a stand creatively.

A funny thing happened then. I yanked out that gessoed covered credit card and painted the mountains above Lone Pine from memory. The whole painting took 15 minutes. I wasn't "thinking" while it was happening.

Making the large shapes was liberating. Doing the mountains was fun. Importantly, there was no photo reference used. This image came from memory.

OK, now this out of the way . . . . I had to get loose again.

No comments:

Fighting the Ugly Stage

It's the damndest thing . . . the ugly stage of a painting. After a careful drawing of the essential shapes followed by the setting up...