12 September 2012

Inyo Sunset


It's a funny thing. Sometimes I just think that I'll just push some paint around and make it a visceral experience. Don't think-Squeeze out the paint. Don't think -Choose a color. Don't think-Block in the shapes. Don't think . . . . well something always happens as any painting evolves. "Hey, not bad," that silly voice in my head interrupts the reverie. "Uh, oh," I think, "I better get serious."

Ah, there's the problem . . . thinking again. This was just an experiment in composition and value, not some "piece" I'm doing for an art show. But I can't help myself. My simple paint pushing turns into trying to "make" something. I tried to quit before I got carried away.

No comments:

Fighting the Ugly Stage

It's the damndest thing . . . the ugly stage of a painting. After a careful drawing of the essential shapes followed by the setting up...