26 May 2013

Inspiration from Jake

Sometimes inspiration comes from the strangest corners. After the very taxing and difficult workshop with Camille Przewodek in Scottsdale, I wanted to move forward with geometric shapes, transposing them to urban landscapes. I had to show what was in sunlight and what was in shade. This was truly a case of searching for the right color. This was not about values.

Jake had been taking many amazing photos of people. This one from Nashville of a guy checking his text messages struck a big chord. Six months ago I would not have even attempted such a thing. And if I did, I wouldn't have put the man in the painting. But Camille told me that I could paint anything. "Don't be afraid" she said. Jake's photo was so lyrical that I simply had to try.



No comments:

Fighting the Ugly Stage

It's the damndest thing . . . the ugly stage of a painting. After a careful drawing of the essential shapes followed by the setting up...