24 December 2015

Going Bolder



Bigger shapes, stronger color and better design are my keywords for the new year. I've made some strides in 2015. The most important is embracing the flat brush over the round. After a few years of screwing around with Rounds, I decided that Flats were my new direction. The first success happened this past October on the June Lake Loop. The Aspen trees were done with real Flat brush strokes.


Shapes are crucial too. It is essential for me to not get caught up the details. On that same trip I fought strong winds and tried to capture the sage and Rabbit Brush.



Light and shadow are now essential elements in any painting I start. In the old days I might ignore shadows. I guess it was easier that way. I always have to remember how Ray Roberts makes the shadows the chief elements of his design. My cabins in Bodie seem to be a step in the right direction.



OK . . . what about color? After so many workshops where the stress was on gray I felt like I was falling into a trap. I needed bolder colors. Cathy came to the rescue on this one from the Dominican Republic. "More color," she admonished, "Don't be afraid . . . more color!"




No comments:

Fighting the Ugly Stage

It's the damndest thing . . . the ugly stage of a painting. After a careful drawing of the essential shapes followed by the setting up...