12 September 2018

Making Progress

Painting is driving me crazy. I mean, really crazy! I know that things have spun out of control when I lay in bed, trying to fall asleep and painting takes center stage. Instead of counting sheep, I'm mixing imaginary colors on my palette. When I wake up in the morning I've been taking a quick peek at whatever is on the easel in my studio before my coffee. Cathy has always maintained that I'm very compulsive. I'm sure she's right

Lately I've been living the dream . . . painting something every day, some days in the studio, some days outdoors. Have I made progress? Hmmmm, maybe!

The excellent painter Jill Carver summed it all up for me perfectly a few months back . . . . artistic progression runs like the upward movement of concentric circles. You make progress but then you double back on yourself. It's a smoother version of "2 steps forward, one step back."

Sometimes changing up the canvas size and configuration can be a great motivator. I only spent about 90 minutes on this one as the 8x16 format made new goals.

The painting (above) of the West Mitten in Monument Valley has helped me go forward. It hangs in my studio as a reminder that no matter how down I get about my ability, there is always something in a painting that reminds me of my potential. In this one, I'm drawn to the mesa in the background. It is where I truly want to go.

Big spurt at the beginning of August when I was out in North San Diego County with Ray, Mark, Byron and Dustin. Whenever I paint with those guys I feel like I'm in a dream. Confidence was at a high. It was a time for studies, not complete paintings. But being the maniac I am . . . I had to make paintings!

It's a funny thing about painting outdoors. Quite often comfort speaks loudest. This scene would never have been painted if I hadn't found a massive area of shade right here at Batiquitos Lagoon.

Shade made this one happen too!

No comments:

Fighting the Ugly Stage

It's the damndest thing . . . the ugly stage of a painting. After a careful drawing of the essential shapes followed by the setting up...