18 April 2008

It's The Composition, Stupid!

One of the great art arguments Cathy and I ever got into centered on composition. I started into some crazy rant about values and color being of primary importance. She looked at me like I had eight heads.
"Dave, it's all about composition. You'll get to your values and color later. Without a composition, you've got nothing."

Being the pig-headed argumentative fellow I can be, I tried to find a way around her logic. The only problem was, there was no way out. Composition is King!

Ian Roberts' new book on composition will make anyone a believer. This guy has my head spinning. In my barn picture from Capitol Reef I just concentrated on composition. I think I did OK. Buildings have never been my forté. In fact this is really only the second or third time I ever painted one that didn't look like a 5 year old's crayon drawing.

No comments:

Fighting the Ugly Stage

It's the damndest thing . . . the ugly stage of a painting. After a careful drawing of the essential shapes followed by the setting up...