05 March 2013

Dancing in the Dark

It was time to go to the dark side. After checking out some Ray Roberts and Russell Case luminous darks, it was time. I've always been afraid of darks. Flat, muddy, wrong hue, mushy blob . . . . a mistake waiting to happen. Went back to my sweet spot above the Channel Islands to try again. A real goal here . . . that super luminous "shadow light" which comes at dusk always paints the land in a magical way. If you try, you can stop and smell the color, you can hear the low rumbling roar of waning afternoon energy as the earth turns away from the sun. It's the moment I always feel the most alive when I'm out in the wilds. A fleeting moment which is gone in a whisper.

Well, OK . . . a bit pretentious as a goal, but damn, I started to feel connected. I wasn't just recording the scene, I was trying to convey the moment. Shot it with my iPhone on the easel. So happy with it that I actually posted it on Facebook. Cathy thought I was nuts to do that for many reasons. Nevertheless I feel energized. I feel like I'm getting somewhere

No comments:

Fighting the Ugly Stage

It's the damndest thing . . . the ugly stage of a painting. After a careful drawing of the essential shapes followed by the setting up...